Most of our crew have been connecting to newsgroups for well over 20 years. We’ve seen everything from the advent of the NZB to the latest focus on automation. Perhaps one of the most innovative ways to use Usenet outside of a newsreader is to connect it with a media player like XBMC / Kodi. We enjoy using Kodi to stream content but finding quality sources can be a challenge. This is where Usenet comes in. More specifically, Easynews is unique in that it offers a web-based Usenet interface. In doing so users have the ability to connect Kodi to Easynews for the best source of content.
Easynews is a better solution than Real Debrid. The reason is that Easynews connects to Usenet which is a private network of newsgroups. This differs from Read Debrid which relies on file hosting services for streams. The only downside of Easynews is the download limits. Even so you can sign up for accounts ranging from 20 GB up to 150 GB a month. Better yet you can sign up for a 14 day free trial of Easynews and test it out with Kodi.
How to Setup Easynews Usenet in Kodi
The first step is to sign up for an Easynews account. After you register for a free trial the Easynews team will email you a username and password. You will need this information to connect Easynews with Kodi. The next step is to install the Easynews add-on for Kodi. We’ll show you how to do it using Kodi Jarvis. If you have already moved to Kodi 17 Krypton then refer to the Easynews addon guide on Kodi Reviews to set it up.
To set up Usenet in Kodi you will need to install and configure the Easynews add-on. Here’s a step by step guide to help you get it set up.
Step 1 – Add a source
- Hover over System and then File manager.
- Double click Add source to bring up the “Add files source” window.
- Click on <NONE> and enter http://xunitytalk.me/xfinity in for the path and click Done.
- Enter Xunity as the name for the media source and click OK.
Step 2 – Install from ZIP file
- From the home screen click on System and then Add-ons.
- You will want to choose Install from zip file.
- Scroll down and select Xunity and then XunityTalk_Repository.zip.
Step 3 – Install from repository
- Go ahead and click on Install from repository
- Look for .XunityTalk Repository and select it from the list.
- Click on Video add-ons, then EasyNews, and finally Install.
Step 4 – Set up the Easynews add-on
- From the home screen click on Videos and then Video add-ons.
- Highlight EasyNews and press the letter “C” on your keyboard.
- Click on Add-on settings.
- Enter in your Easynews Username and Password.
- You can also enable Use Easynews SSL to add encryption.
- The IMDB+Trakt, Movies, and TV-Shows settings are optional.